Monday, February 13, 2012

Some Thoughts...


This is trip number five for me at the Casa.  I can't believe it has been more than six years since Liz first suggested to me we travel to Mexico with the FCS mission group.  At first, I said I had no interest in traveling to Mexico, but figured I'd go along for the ride.  I had always wanted to do volunteer work abroad, but for some reason Mexico wasn't even on my radar.  Six years later and the Casa San Jose truly is a second home.

My relationship with the Casa has evolved over  that time.  In those first years, I think I was a little naïve to the challenges faced by the children and staff at the Casa.  I knew that all of the children there came from poverty, some came from possibly abusive situations and some were even abandoned, but this information and the feelings behind it seemed distant.  It was easy to play with the kids, paint a few buildings and joyfully experience Mexican culture.  Over time, my understanding and connection to the Casa has changed.  I have established relationships with the community.  No longer am I blind to the bigger issues the Casa faces.  I am fully aware of the financial problems that plague the Casa.  I have witnessed some of the pain the children experience coming from neglectful situations.  I understand that I should not take my trips there lightly.  I am always careful in my relationships with the children.  I am cautious in making promises on when I will return, how much I am able to give of my time, etc.  It doesn't mean that I don't give them any expectations, rather I am mindful.

As my experience at the Casa has changed, I have also found making decisions with the Casa in my mind, particularly around my money and time.  In the states, I work for a non-profit.  I do not make much money and plan out my expenses carefully.  With that said, I do have some expendable income and choosing to buy takeout for lunch once a week or buying a new clothing item at a moderately priced clothing store IS usually possible.  Our trip to the Casa is a financial stretch and one that needs to be carefully factored into the budget, but it is still doable.  I feel an obligation to be mindful of what I spend on personal items and recognize that if it is not a necessity then I should also be able to provide in a similar capacity for the Casa.  The same can also be said for my time.  I believe firmly in self-care (I AM in in the human service sector), but even I need only so many nights of watching television or surfing the internet.

Lastly, this trip is our fourth mission trip.  Last year Liz and I travelled there on our own and considered doing that again this year, but I decided to go with the group instead.  Traveling as part of a group is an experience all in its own.  Our group of 19 will be working, living and playing together for the better part of 9 days.  Traveling to a foreign country can in and of itself be exhausting, both emotionally and physically.  Imagine doing that with 19 other people, some of whom you may not know very well.  Privacy is at a minimum.  There are expectations to uphold.  Consensus must be made at times.  Occasionally, your way won't be had.  Feelings get hurt.  Sounds wonderful doesn't it?  Actually, it can also be a wonderful experience.  Embarking on a journey like this can be demanding and having a support network to share that with can add to the joy.  It's a unique way to connect with others.  Even with those whom I have little contact with from past trips when we do see each other, there is an instant bond.  I am looking forward to this next trip, the experiences it will bring and the opportunity to share it with our group.

No comments:

Post a Comment